I am currently following Diary of a Fit Mommy’s 25 Days of Fitmas with my sisters, Emily and Becky. Along with the workouts she has put together, Sia recommends eating clean for the duration of the challenge for best results.
I have to admit, I was a little scared of the idea of “eating clean.”
I am SO AGAINST dieting that I never really even looked into what clean eating is. I am not about to go after a diet fad. But, I wanted to follow the Fitmas Challenge so I started looking into what eating clean is all about. And I am here to share my new knowledge!
- Eating clean IS NOT A DIET. So just pop that thought bubble and we can move on.
- Eating clean is essentially eating foods with very few ingredients. The smaller the ingredient list, the better! If you look at the list of ingredients in something and see more than 5 things it is probably not the best thing for you. This is not a rule that works for everything, but it helps as a guideline. Another thing to look for is if you can pronounce the ingredients. If there are crazy words in there you can’t even begin to pronounce I suggest moving right along.
- Eating clean is not about eating only steamed carrots and green beans all day. The first few days of eating clean were so boring because I felt like all I could eat was plain fruits and veggies. But remember, a healthy diet is a balanced diet. And a balanced diet includes food from all the food groups: meat, fruits and vegetables, dairy, and grain. I started adding some tasty foods to my menu: hard boiled eggs, 1 slice of gluten free toast, cheese string, yogurt (not the sugary kind!), soy butter, etc.
- Eating clean is not about counting calories. Not all calories are created equal. Just focus on food as pure as possible and you’ve got it.
- Eating clean is not about restricting tasty foods. I LOVE sour cream. I love it in anything spicy…tacos, burritos, enchiladas, chili, etc. The other day I was frantically searching the web for whether or not sour cream was considered a clean food. Most everyone said to look at the ingredients (see #2) and decide for myself. I decided that it depends on the brand BUT found that there was an awesome alternative: plain Greek yogurt. It tastes the same as sour cream but has a ton of protein and is actually good for me. So, I could have sour cream that is not the worst thing for me or I could have Greek yogurt that tastes the same and costs the same but is GOOD FOR ME.
And while we are talking about replacing our not so great foods for amazing alternatives, I HAVE to share my newest discovery for Greek yogurt!
This is especially exciting for two reasons: 1) who doesn’t LOVE ranch dressing??? 2) my oldest, William, is allergic to eggs and misses ranch dressing so much! Now, using Greek yogurt, he can enjoy it’s yumminess again.
Egg Free Ranch Dressing
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp dill weed or seed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together. Add more or less of any seasoning to get the perfect flavor for you!