My First Week as a Stay at Home Mom {Guest Post}

My First Week as a Stay at Home Mom {Guest Post}

First off, I just want tomy first week as a say how happy I am to have the opportunity to write on Creating Kilter. It is exciting to be able to reach a whole new world of readers and I was so honored to be asked to do this blog post.

So first, a little background about me:
I am a young wife and a mom to a sweet and stubborn (like his mother, I’ll admit) two-year-old boy named Oliver. Long before I married my husband Robert, I knew that all I wanted to do was to be a mom. When we first got married, me becoming a stay at home mom was a pipe dream. My income was double that of my husband’s and it just became a prayer of ours that would have to take a miracle to come true. But this month, that pipe dream has become a reality through the grace of God. I had my last day of work on April 20th and began my journey as a stay at home mom. Of course, if you want to know more details about how this happened, check out my blog at Making Mommy Money.

My First Week as a SAHM
So, we started the week with a Firepitcelebration on Sunday night. The weather was nice and the three of us decided to have a picnic in the backyard followed by some roasted marshmallows. And of course, because Oliver and I could “sleep as late as we want” (that’s how Robert put it anyway) we watched Space Jam way past Oliver’s bedtime, which is normally 7:30pm.

And as luck would have it, Oliver woke up at 6:15am. No sleeping in for this mom. In fact, waking up long before he normally does. I made sure to let my husband know when he got home. None the less, we took our time eating breakfast and headed to my job to drop Oliveroff the last of some papers I had been working on. It was a glorious feeling knowing I never HAD to go there again, only if I wanted to. It felt like true freedom. The power to control what I do in a day.

After visiting work, I went to the gym for the first time in a month, and then we went grocery shopping to get a few things. By the time we got home, it was close to lunch time, which then after came nap time. To match his short sleep at night, Oliver (who normally took 2-3 hour naps) slept for an hour and a half. Either way, I took my first nap of the week. You better believe I will take advantage of that as long as I can. After his nap, we went to our backyard and played until dinner time. We had a family dinner and chilled out until bedtime.

Tuesday was gloomy and rainy all day. Oliver woke up early again, which let’s be real is getting old already. Robert was already at work so Oliver and I had cereal for breakfast, Oliver showed off how he knows how to drink the milk from the bowl, a very proud mom moment. I implemented a chore system for myself so that I have a few small chores to do in the morning and afternoon each day during the week, I had my morning chores done for Tuesday by 8am. Each task takes less than 10 minutes to do, which is exactly what I wanted.

We then went to visit Grammy and Pawpaw’s house to play and have lunch until we went home to take a nap. Oliver was whiny all day because he couldn’t go outside to play, he loved wearing his light up rain boots though. He took a short nap again today…I was only able to close my eyes for 15 minutes. I made chicken enchiladas for dinner while Robert played with Oliver after getting home from work. Robert left for coffee tasting, and I put Oliver to bed and then watched Greatest Showman by myself.

It was still raining in the morning. He woke up at 6:15 yelling “mommy wake up!” I do not like these early mornings when I had all intention of doing my daily cleaning before he woke up. We had a chill breakfast with eggs and blackberries, with peppermint tea (for me, not him).

I’m starting to think I’ll be able to have my quiet time during breakfast, which is awesome. I was always struggling to find a consistent time every day when I was working. I went to the gym to work out legs, he had another meltdown while leaving but it wasn’t as bad as Monday. PROGRESS! We saw geese on our way out, it’s so fun to have an impromptu animal noise party.


There was a lot of refusing things that he’s told all day. A lot of “no I not…” My fuse was very short by nap time, as he even refused to go to bed. He had the shortest nap of the week on Wednesday, if this is what SAHM is like, I want nothing to do with it. After nap, it was playtime with daddy in the house so I could get my sanity back again and finish my afternoon chores.

We spent the morning cleaning and picking up the house. Oliver helped me make a veggie pizza (you can find it in my tried and true section on Pinterest) for the ladies coming to a Bible Study later that night. I hope to make “cooking with mom” a regular thing for him, that way we can both learn how to cook together. Yeah, I admitted it, I suck at cooking (and I don’t like it either). But I’m getting better, maybe I’ll start liking it soon.

I went against my husband’s wishes and mowed the lawn while Oliver played outside in the backyard, when he took a nap I mowed the front lawn. It was beautiful outside, I had never done it before, and it’s a good workout with a push mower. It just happened to be a plus that it freed Robert to relax after a long day at work since the lawn looked like a jungle with people coming over.

Later, I stepped up my housewife game by making dinner and cookies for guests at the same time. I learned why I never use red pepper flakes in recipes though. I didn’t read the OPTIONAL part of the parmesan garlic spaghetti recipe I found and put them in, Oliver took one bite and said, “no thank you I’m done” I could see the horror of heat on his face. I felt awful, especially since my mouth was on fire too. Never again.

Friday was the most chill day of the whole week. Oliver and I literally just hung out in the living room all day. Don’t get me wrong, I got my chores of the day done but I finished them at my own pace. I did them as slowly as possible. Oliver and I colored with crayons, played in his play kitchen, he helped me with laundry, and we watched Magic School Bus on Netflix. It was such a relaxing day, just what we needed for all the stuff we’d done during the week. He also had the longest nap of the week on Friday, I guess all the not sleeping finally caught up to him. It was glorious, he napped, and I watched documentaries while I picked up the house…slowly. I also got a chance to work on some welcome packages for my new members of my Young Living essential oils team.

Once Robert got home, we headed to church to set up for a family movie night event we were hosting (Robert is the children’s minister). Oliver played wonderfully by himself and watching the movie Ferdinand as a family with a bunch of other families was the best way to end the week.

If my first week as a SAHM is any indication of how this journey is going to be, I’m excited. It’s going to be a whirlwind of cleaning, fun, tantrums, and craziness. And I have every say in how I spend my days, it feels like freedom.



Follow me to find out how I became a SAHM and what happens next:

Instagram       Pinterest     Twitter     Facebook

2 thoughts on “My First Week as a Stay at Home Mom {Guest Post}

    1. Thanks! I’ve been at it for a month now and I love it! I’ve had the freedom to visit relatives in the middle of the week and prepare a family camping trip, I also am starting to like cooking too! I love this life!! I think I could get used to this 🙂 Thanks for reading!

Leave a Reply