This post contains affiliate links. I only give my honest opinion.
Welcome to Date Night. While it is nice to go out for date night that is just not always an option. Maybe you can’t find a baby sitter. Maybe you have been out all week and want a night in. Maybe you want to keep costs low. Whatever the reason, a date night in can be just as much fun as a date night out.
And no matter what you have planned for date night there is one thing you definitely need: some really tasty snacks. A lot of times Shane will make a quick trip out to the store and grab us some of our favorite snacks.
But when it is a date night that we have planned a couple days in advance we will try to make one of our favorite snacks to eat. Plus it is fun to make the snack together. It’s a great time to catch up with each other.
Here are some of the snacks we have been loving lately!
1. Jalapeno Poppers. We LOVE spicy so these are for sure my favorite. I could easily eat a dozen of these. Cooking tip: wear some gloves while preparing these. My first time making these I didn’t and even after washing my hands I rubbed my eye and was standing over the sink in tears for almost an hour. Painful. So painful. So wear gloves.
2. Fondue. This is a really easy snack to prepare. We don’t have an actual fondue set but we buy the Hershey’s fondue at the grocery store (read the back…you will likely need to buy some carnation milk, too) and prepare it over the stove. Cut up some of your favorite fruits- we use strawberries, bananas, oranges, raspberries, and blueberries- and have at it!
3. Grape Punch. This is going to be so basic you will think I am kidding: grape juice and ginger ale. That’s it. It tastes just like Welch’s sparkling cider (which isn’t available up here).
4. Coca Cola Wings. If you have ever met my husband you know he LOVES coca cola. When he came across coca cola wings we had to try it. This is not as basic of a snack as the others I have in this list. It takes a little more prep and more ingredients. But these wings are SO GOOD. If you like wings at all you need to try these.
5. Slow Cooker Lava Cake. This is actually a new recipe for us. We just tried it this week and it wasn’t technically a date that we tried it on. But Shane and I made plans to sit down and make plans Wednesday night so Wednesday afternoon I prepared this dessert in the slow cooker. By the time we got home from church it was already cooked and ready for us to devour. I highly recommend this dessert for a couple reasons: it is egg free, very low prep, few ingredients, converted to gluten free well.
6. Nachos. We do this for supper more often than we do for a snack but it should still be on this list. Spray your 9×13 pan with some oil and put some tortilla chips in the pan. Then add some chicken (I cook and dice up the chicken ahead of time), green onions, jalapenos, green peppers, and shredded cheese. You can add whatever else you like on nachos, that’s just what we use. Then put it in the oven at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes (until the cheese is nice and melty).
7. Hot Cream Cheese Dip. I don’t know what this is actually called but that’s how I can best describe it. This is everyone’s favorite chip dip. At least up here it is. This requires some prep in that you need to let the cream cheese soften. I do this by pulling it out of the frig and leave it on the counter an hour or two before I plan on making the dip. Okay, so your cream cheese is softened. Now just spread it in the bottom of a 8×8 pan (for one block of cream cheese). Next pour some salsa on top of that. And then just some shredded cheese on that. Stick it in the oven (350 degrees) for 10-15 minutes. Again, until the cheese is melty. Grab some tortilla chips and have at it. So yum.
What are some of your favorite snacks to make at home? Do you have a special snack that you always make on date night? Share with us!
Here are some of my kitchen essentials when it comes to making these delicious snacks!
Every week I link up to these great blogs!