I don’t think you can say one of God’s attributes are more important than another. Each characteristic of God is part of what makes Him God. Each characteristic of His compliments other characteristics and helps define them as well.
You will often hear “God is Love”. Which is true, He is. But then people will not look past that one attribute. But remember, we can’t have one attribute without the other. They all work together to make God Who He is. God is love. But that is not all He is.
Among many other things, God is holy.
His holiness should affect us. It should affect our thoughts and our actions. It should make us want to live pure before Him. It should make us fear Him. Yes, God is love. However, His holiness requires Him to do things (out of love) that may not seem so loving.
God cannot stand sin. His holiness means sin cannot be tolerated. While it is more comforting to think of God’s love it is important that we also think of God’s holiness and how it requires us to live a life pleasing to God.
So to help myself think on His Holiness more often I made a short list of Bible verses about God’s holiness. These would be great verses to stick on a post it or write on the top of your planner each morning.
- I Samuel 2:2- There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
- I Peter 1:15-16- But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
- Leviticus 11:44a- For I am the Lord your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy:…
- Ephesians 1:4- According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
- Psalm 96:9- O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.
- 2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
What verses can you add to this list? Please share with us in the comments below!
Every week I link up to these great blogs!